Date:      Tue, 10 Jun 1997 16:01:57 -0700 (MST)
From:      Terry Lambert <terry@lambert.org>
To:        wilko@yedi.iaf.nl (Wilko Bulte)
Cc:        henrich@crh.cl.msu.edu, michaelh@cet.co.jp, freebsd-hackers@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: Cable modems

> As Charles Henrich wrote...

[ ... cable modems ... ]

> You Americans are sooo priviliged...

Speak for Charles!

The rest of us live in the armpit of the telecommunications
industry (like US West and TCI cablevision) and we don't have
nice things like cable modems available, though many of us
would rush out and buy them immediately if we could only get
service.  Accordig to an article in Forbes magazine two years
ago, peasents in Brazil have better wire service than I do.

TCI recently backed out of their commitment to cable modems
in our area; we were supposed to have them about 6 months ago.

Caveat: US West is (supposedly) going to be selling Digital
	Subscriber Lines soon.

Caveat to the caveat: They will be async (ADSL) instead of
	sync (SDSL) so the data rate up is going to make
	them useless to anyone who isn't buying the things
	purely to let them push commercial content at you
	(which is most everyone), so it's not going to help.
	The when it doesn't sell, they will become even
	more intransigent about metered rates and other crap
	to try and recoup their losses.

I suspect Europe and Australia to have universal high speed
access *long* before the US, simple because you guys don't
have a badly managed antiquated infrastructure that they are
still trying to amortize over the remaining portion of their
20 year accounting cycle.

Bah Humbug!

					Terry Lambert
					terry@lambert.org