Date:      Thu, 26 Aug 1999 12:46:25 -0600
From:      Warner Losh <imp@village.org>
To:        Paul Hart <hart@iserver.com>
Cc:        freebsd-security@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: FreeBSD (and other BSDs?) local root explot]

In message
<Pine.BSF.3.96.990826122620.4391H-100000@anchovy.orem.iserver.com>
Paul Hart writes:
: Has anyone investigated patches to the fts(3) functions in libc?  We've
: seen kernel patches (to stop following symbolic links when dumping core?)
: but it would be nice to fix the fts(3) bugs as well that started all of
: this.

Bruce has done that.  He's trying to get them to the point he's happy
with them and track down all the implied POSIX issues that might
result from changing fts.  I will admit that I've been slow in the
past to review some of the changes he wanted to make to fix this
problem, mostly due to heavy work loads at the time.

In the past few days several patches to different areas of the system
have been flooding through my mailbox for review on this problem.
This is both good and bad.

This exploit pointed out several bugs.  periodic shouldn't allow its
children to dump core (since you don't want new core files in your
dump every day), core dumps *MUST*NOT* follow symbolic links (which
they didn't do in 2.x, but there was some back sliding in 3.x and 4.x
in this area), fts has an overflow which can cause problems in large,
wide trees.  Had any one of these been different, the problem would
not have happened.  There are also some downstream issues with many
programs not doing proper error checking (eg, if ssh sees bogons in
its authorized_keys file, it should abort not ignore them), but that
doesn't solve the "file assasination" problems, it merely works around
them.

I'm working on some administrivia right now to get the advisories to
happen properly...

Warner