Date:      Wed, 2 Mar 2005 15:23:58 -0600
From:      Dan Nelson <dnelson@allantgroup.com>
To:        Luke <luked@pobox.com>
Cc:        freebsd-questions@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: Received mail timestamp is off by 7 hours

In the last episode (Mar 02), Luke said:
> >>There's no excuse for a mailserver to not be synced to a NTP source.
> >I'd extend that to apply to any server.  Practically all the things a
> >server does are dependent in some way on the correct time.
>
> I have three excuses:
> 1) NTP is difficult to configure.  I've done it, but it wasn't trivial.
> 2) Finding an NTP server willing to accept traffic from the public isn't
> easy either.  For me it involved a scavenger hunt through out-of-date
> websites and a lot of failed attempts.

You may not know about pool.ntp.org, then.  As of Sep 2004, there were
200 public servers in the pool.  See http://www.pool.ntp.org/ for
instructions, including a nice 4-line ntp.conf file.

> 3) If your clock tends to run noticably fast or slow, constant NTP
> corrections tend to do more harm than good, at least in my
> experience.  It got to where I couldn't even run a buildworld because
> NTP kept tinkering with the clock in the middle of the process.

Two options:  You can tell ntp to never step the clock by adding the -x
flag, or you can increase the slew rate by fiddling with
/sys/kern/kern_ntptime.c .  You may need to do both.

--
	Dan Nelson
	dnelson@allantgroup.com