Date:      Sat, 24 Jan 1998 21:40:52 -0800 (PST)
From:      Chris Brunner <cjb@efn.org>
To:        Jim Durham <durham@w2xo.pgh.pa.us>
Cc:        freebsd-multimedia@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   RE: Playing Midi files

> I can't claim to know very much, as I just discovered it myself, but
> it has "pattern" files for all the instruments in /usr/local/lib/timidity/patch.
> I assume these are samples of the instrument waveform.

Yes, I think that's how it does it.  Ever heard of a DOS program called
Cubic Player?  Does the same thing.

> Only thing I can suggest is check IRQ's and DMA's carefully. ALso, make
> sure you have all the special files by doing sh MAKEDEV snd0 in /dev.
> Maybe something is hosed there? All the "0" devices should have a link
> to the master device name, like dsp0 should link to dsp. You probably
> have checked this stuff, but just in case...

I don't think that's it.  I can play other formats fine, like mod, wav,
mp3, etc., it's just the midis that I have trouble with.

> If all that fails, perhaps it's something incompatable in the 2.2.5
> sound driver. However, I used to do midi on 2.2.1 using "playmidi" and
> had fairly good results...not as good as timidity.

Really?  You got playmidi to work?  I was never able to do so
satisfactorally.  It sounded REALLY REALLY bad.  Unlistenably so.  Sounded
like it was going to crash or something.
Thanks a lot!

Chris Brunner
cjb@efn.org