Date:      Thu, 14 Aug 1997 00:22:25 -0400 (EDT)
From:      Chuck Robey <chuckr@glue.umd.edu>
To:        andrew@ugh.net.au
Cc:        Annelise Anderson <andrsn@andrsn.stanford.edu>, FreeBSD-chat@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: Needed: Info on shells and script writing

On Thu, 14 Aug 1997 andrew@ugh.net.au wrote:

> On Wed, 13 Aug 1997, Annelise Anderson wrote:
>
> >    Note: Do not change root's shell. It must be either sh or csh, because
> >    otherwise you may not have a working shell when the system puts you
> >    into single user mode. When you use su -m to become root, you will
>
> When you go into single user mode, if roots shell is unavailable it
> promtps you for a shell to use (type path anm,e of shell or return for
> /bin/sh)....At least I think it did but I haven't been single user for a
> while...

That's generally sage advice that Annelise was handing out.  If you know
the reasons why it's not valid for you, fine, but I've seen so many folks
get bitten by it, folks who innocently didn't know what it means to be
dynamically linked, that I'd rather that stayed in.

It's not valid for me either, but it's good advice.

213 Lakeside Drive Apt T-1  |