Date:      Mon, 17 Aug 1998 13:13:51 -0400 (EDT)
From:      Chuck Robey <chuckr@glue.umd.edu>
To:        Doug White <dwhite@resnet.uoregon.edu>
Cc:        FreeBSD-Questions@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: starting up the 3rd SCSI disk

On Sun, 16 Aug 1998, Doug White wrote:

> On Fri, 14 Aug 1998, Chuck Robey wrote:
>
> > OK, I didn't do the dd step before, that's made a change.  I got it
> > disklabeled (dang. ded. mode), and did the newfs, but at the end I got:
> >
> > newfs: ioctl (WDINFO): Invalid argument
> > newfs: /dev/rsd2e: can't rewrite disk label
>

> > Well, I've saved the output of the newfs and disklabel here so you can
> > chop them off in the reply:
> >
> > ROOT:/usr2/chuckr:102 >disklabel sd2
> > # /dev/rsd2c:
> > type: SCSI
> > disk: amnesiac
> > label: fictitious
>
> Erm, try
>
> disklabel -r sd2
>
> to get the on-disk disklabel, not the in-core one...

Oh, I did that on any actual operation.  I finally found the problem.
In the handbook, it shows that you have to do a dd of two sectors before
you begin, which is what my original list didn't have.  I don't know why
the dd is in there, but my disk is now up and running (yes, it's
dangerously dedicated, but the "dd" above is the command, not an
abbreviation).

> > newfs: ioctl (WDINFO): Invalid argument
> > newfs: /dev/rsd2e: can't rewrite disk label
>
> This disk is 'dangerously dedicated', right?

213 Lakeside Drive Apt T-1  |
Greenbelt, MD 20770         | I run Journey2 and picnic (FreeBSD-current)
(301) 220-2114              | and jaunt (NetBSD).