Date:      Fri, 20 Jul 2001 12:05:05 -0700
From:      Jim Krenz <unixverse@mac.com>
To:        freebsd-questions@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Telnet settings (Mac to FreeBSD)

Hello all,

I am trying to figure out which settings are best in my Telnet client. I am
using it to connect with a FreeBSD system (4.3) that I've just set up. I am
trying to telnet in from my Mac OS 9.1 system. Since I am new to this stuff,
I am asking advice as to which settings to use for the best results.

Here are the options I can choose from:

Emulation: VT100; VT220; ANSI; Linux

***

Yes/no options:
Xterm sequences
Use VT wrap mode
Eight bit connections
Save Cleared lines
Use jump scolling (faster)
VT220 7-bit controls

***

Port (currently set to 23, and that seems to work thus far).

***

Protocol: Telnet; rlogin; rsh; rexec; ssh2; raw tcp. Which one is best? I
suspect that it is ssh2, since that is the secure one, but I am asking to be
sure that one of the others isn't better.

Thanks for any advice, and being patient with this newbie FreeBSD user.

Jim
Jim Krenz
Unixverse@mac.com