Date:      Thu, 28 Sep 1995 10:37:40 +0930 (CST)
From:      Michael Smith <msmith@atrad.adelaide.edu.au>
To:        serges@umr.edu (Doug S.)
Cc:        jeffa@sybase.com, questions@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: PC configuration advice wanted.

Doug S. stands accused of saying:
> Yes, and if youre creating a solution to take advantage of *one* OS
> or application, then you *may* find a SCSI implementation that supports
> your hardware and software. However, if you (as many of us are) want to
> remain as standardized as is reasonable, to take advantage of various
> OSs, then (E)IDE is (currently) the *only* way to go.

Still totally bogus.  All of the major SCSI interface families have good
vendor support for all of the major operating environments, and have for
many years.  Do I need to make a list?

In the closed minds of the average PC retailer, your argument is very
popular.  Out here in the real world, it's just so much crap.

Your argument that the lowest common denominator is the best possible thing
to stick with smacks of enforced mediocrity.  I bet that you don't advocate
W95 as the One True Solution; don't do the same with hardware.

> Serge.

(not much humility in my opinions 8)

]] High-speed data acquisition and                                      [[
]] realtime instrument control          (ph/fax) +61-8-267-3039         [[
]] My car has "demand start" -Terry Lambert  UNIX: live FreeBSD or die! [[