Date:      Sun, 15 Sep 2002 16:09:43 +0930
From:      Greg 'groggy' Lehey <grog@FreeBSD.org>
To:        Pookie <madriax@garlic.com>
Cc:        freebsd-questions@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: "Repair" for FreeBSD

Quoted text incorrectly wrapped.

On Saturday, 14 September 2002 at 23:33:45 -0700, Pookie wrote:
> On  Saturday, September 14, 2002 10:59 PM, Greg 'groggy' Lehey wrote:
>> On Saturday, 14 September 2002 at 22:43:32 -0700, Pookie wrote:
>>> I need to figure out how to repair man Ethernet device, or restart
>>> it.  I noticed in windows you can "repair" one. How is this
>>> accomplished in FBSD?
>>

>> I think you're getting confused by terminology, or maybe I am.  If
>> your device is broken, you'll have to replace it.  What do you really
>> want to do?  To restart it, you could do something like
>>
>>   # ifconfig ed0 down
>>   # ifconfig ed0 up
>>
>> That should never be necessary, though.
>
> Well the reason I ask is: I have a Win2K Server running ICS. Say both of
> them are connected fine. If I reboor the Win  box and start up ICS,
> FreeBSD is no longer able to communicate. Im assuming I have to restart
> or "repair" the interface

I don't know what ICS is, but this looks like there's something wrong
with your Microsoft box.  As I said, "repair" is the wrong term.  Is
the FreeBSD box no longer able to communicate with any system on the
network?  It's possible that you're being bitten by a Microsoft
"feature": if it's serving DHCP, it won't tolerate any other DHCP
servers on the net, and it will effectively perform a DoS by stealing
all the IP addresses.

If it's correct that you can't access any system on the network after
rebooting the Microsoft box, you should take a look at the output of
ifconfig before and after reboot.  Also check if any messages appear
in /var/log/messages.

Greg