Date:      Mon, 13 Apr 1998 19:05:46 -0500 (CDT)
From:      Frank Pawlak <fpawlak@execpc.com>
To:        sue@welearn.com.au
Cc:        chat@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: Project FreeBSD 98

Hi Sue,

----------------snip------------

>> Technical Support:
>
>  Newbies:
>
>  	Welcoming
>  	Orientation
>  	Learning support

These are excellent points and the activities are very much needed.  If
I can add something to this it is total agreement.  I am still something
of a newbie myself, and have at times been reticent to ask questions
for just the reasons that you point out.  You are correct, at least
in my mind, that this is a key and difficult area of technical
support, yet very necessary.

I read a few of the Linux NG's and have noticed that there are any
number of people more than willing to do hand holding, and we have to
learn to do that too.  And, I've gotten into my share of flame wars over
the issue that FreeBSD support is either bad or non-existent.  We need
to fix that real soon.

How would you feel about working on some ideas on how to fix that?  Greg
may have some feel for this as he is working on some of these issues.

When I laid out the structure the categories were left mostly open to
attract ideas that will eventually fill them in.  You have done just
that.

If I can ask one thing of you, can you keep a copy of this post. I am
 learning that the "paper flow" regarding this whole project is starting
 to clog the arteries a bit here.  I have to take some time and work on
 a personal organization project to handle it without loosing anyone.

		More below

> It's one thing to get people using FreeBSD, but don't forget we have to be
> very well prepared to deal with them when they arrive, or they'll go away
> again. This is quite separate from technical support which we all need from
> time to time. New users can go through a stage of feeling isolated,
> embarrassed, unvalued, or just unsure of how to obtain information in a new
> environment without many information gathering skills. Some of them have
> good unix skills but are unfamiliar with FreeBSD and our organisation, while
> some are new at everything. I'm working on some of these things but as a
> newbie I'm solving my own problems at the same time. Any help on addressing
> the non-support needs of newbies is welcome.
>

> One area where many of the issues do overlap, however, is support for
> installation questions. It's technical support, but it is often a new user's
> first interaction with the mob and impressions formed at that stage can
> influence their impression of FreeBSD a great deal. And if we're talking
> about promoting FreeBSD in general, then the final stage of our job is here,
> not at the CD sale.
>
> I get the impression that installation questions are not much fun to answer.
> They also have to be answered well because misinformation is dangerous at
> this stage (at least in terms of losing a convert).

Losing converts will derail everything that we do.

> How well are we dealing with pre-installation and installation technical
> questions? Do we need more people to help there, or are we doing fine?
> Has anyone thought this through?
>

>> This is a first draft of our structure and all are invited to work on
>> perfecting it.  Volunteers are needed to get names in the various slots,
>> remember that this is a democracy.
>
> To some people, a democracy means that the strong and numerous screw the
> small and timid. I don't think that's the kind you meant :-)

Only in the US ;-)  I would hope that the Australian experience with
democracy differs from ours.  If I were to be president or prime
minister, that kind of thing would end in a heartbeat.  If I have my
say it won't happen here either.

Best wishes,
Frank