Date:      06 Jun 1999 01:17:08 -0500
From:      Joel Ray Holveck <joelh@gnu.org>
To:        Alex Zepeda <garbanzo@hooked.net>
Cc:        Brett Taylor <brett@peloton.physics.montana.edu>, Tomer Weller <spud@i.am>, "<ports@freebsd.org>" <current@FreeBSD.ORG>
Subject:   Re: KDE programs won't compile

>> Most KDE programs, including the configure scripts, look for the
>> KDEDIR environment variable.  I believe that the correct thing to do
>> with FreeBSD's KDE install is to set KDEDIR to /usr/local.  I do this
>> in /etc/profile and /etc/csh.cshrc here.  (I have KDE in
>> /usr/local/kde here, too, so I haven't tested it as /usr/local.)
> KDEDIR is depreciated.

How do you mean "depreciated"?  Should users not set it, or
applications not check for it, or what?

The 2.0 kdelibs/README states:
   IMPORTANT: most applications need KDEDIR as the directory where KDE is
   installed.  Please set this in your login file.
Of course, this could be out-of-date.

I do not know of an alternate mechanism.  A brief examination of the
2.0 kdebase and koffice configure.in's do not immediately reveal one
either, other than --prefix.  Is this the accepted method, then?  What
if a user wants to install something in a different place than the
rest of KDE?

>> --prefix specifies where it should install to.  However, this app
>> needs to find some 3rd-party include files, so --prefix is not
>> appropriate.
> Uh no.  The prefix is also used by the configuration script to figure out
> where the kdelibs were installed to.  From configure:

I apologize, I did not examine the source before I spoke.  I will
maintain that --prefix is, in general, a target specifier rather than
a source specifier.  In the case of the configure script you quoted
(and probably all KDE configure scripts), and if they coincide (as
they usually will), then --prefix will DTRT.

Which configure script did you take this from?  I see the same code in
many bits of KDE itself.

Happy hacking,
joelh

--