Date:      Wed, 31 May 1995 00:38:26 -0400 (EDT)
From:      -Vince- <vince@penzance.econ.yale.edu>
To:        "Jonathan M. Bresler" <jmb@kryten.atinc.com>
Cc:        Mark Hittinger <bugs@ns1.win.net>, hackers@FreeBSD.ORG

On Tue, 30 May 1995, Jonathan M. Bresler wrote:

> On Tue, 30 May 1995, Mark Hittinger wrote:
>
> > It may be worth bagging the mailing lists entirely and going for newsgroups
> > instead.
> >
> > It means you've hit the big time :-)
>
> 	i have just sorted the addresses in hackers to rationalize mail
> delivery.   all addresses in the same domain have been collected together.
> the order of delivery is now: addresses local to freefall; addresses
> local to cdrom.com;  the rest of the world in ascii sort order.  (the
> sort is based on top level domain, then sub-domain, and so on)
>
> 	this should speed up mailing list processing

	Actually, that wouldn't speed it up much.  I'm running several
mailing lists and digests with 5000+ users and with that approach, since
it goes out as one sendmail process, each transient failure will delay the
rest of the list for 5 to 10 minutes.  For example, I am running the GUS
Daily Digest and that list has 2000+ users with the digest size being
20-30k once a day it goes out, it will take 17 hours to finish sending to
everyone on a SUN SparcStation 5 on a T3 link on mail.nws.orst.edu since
there are about 5% transient failures which delays the sending of the
digest to the rest of the list for a couple hours since even though if
you did sorting, it will still go out as one sendmail progress.  What I
did was used Keith Moore's bulk_mailer which I put for
gus-general-digest-outgoing alias for majordomo to redirect to instead of
sendmail since bulk_mailer will sort up to 10 domains for each sendmail
process that it sends to sendmail so that you have several sendmail
process running at once.  This has made the digest take 30 minutes to
complete instead of 17 hours.  This was recently discussed on the
majordomo-workers mailing list at GreatCirle.com.  Hope this helps.

Cheers,
-Vince- vince@kbrown.oldcampus.yale.edu
UCLA Physics/Electrical Engineering - UC Berkeley Fall '95
Mailing Lists Admin mail.nws.orst.edu - SysAdmin bigbang.HIP.Berkeley.EDU
Running FreeBSD - Real Un*x for Free!