Date:      Sat, 15 Jun 2002 17:23:43 +0100
From:      Scott Mitchell <scott.mitchell@mail.com>
To:        Scott Carmichael <freebsd@jobeus.net>
Cc:        questions@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: Building with CPUTYPE=k7

On Thu, Jun 13, 2002 at 03:51:26PM -0600, Scott Carmichael wrote:
> Next time I make world and build my kernel, I was thinking about using
> CPUTYPE=k7 in my make.conf file. Two questions about this though:
>
> A. To clarify, k7 is the Athlon chip, correct?

Yup.

> B. Has anyone had problems with this flag? It warns in make.conf about
> potential problems, and I was just wondering how common these problems
> are.

Well, it works for me...although this machine has locked up mysteriously a
couple of times in the six months since I built it, but there's plenty of
other possible causes for that.  I probably wouldn't run with CPUTYPE=k7 on
a mission-critical machine, but on a workstation you should have no
problems.  I doubt you'll notice any difference in performance though.

Oh, setting CPUTYPE in make.conf makes it slightly painful to build
anything for a box that needs a different CPUTYPE (eg. I obviously like to
do the buildworlds for my 486 router on the Athlon box :-)  I'd leave
CPUTYPE alone if that's a consideration for you as well.

HTH,

	Scott