Date:      Fri, 5 Mar 2004 10:49:15 -0500
From:      Nigel Houghton <nigel@sourcefire.com>
To:        David Edwards <david@deassociates.com>
Cc:        freebsd-security@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: ipfw question

On  0, David Edwards <david@deassociates.com> allegedly wrote:
> Hello folks.. I have a quick question ipfw in a 4.8 server..
>
> In /etc/rc.conf, if you set this - firewall_type="OPEN", is it also
> necessary for this options IPFIREWALL_DEFAULT_TO_ACCEPT in the kernel config
> file?

No it is not necessary. firewall_type="open" means just that, it is open
and everything is allowed.

> I would think that using the first would be better because it can be
> removed, thus allowing no one access, including yourself if you aren't
> careful. Whereas the second method above, in the kernel config leaves it
> open if no rules exist or if all rules are flushed. So the the big question
> is, do I use both, one or the other? I know I can just do options
> IPFIREWALL, but I want to ensure no way of locking myself out at initial
> reboot, since this is a remote server. I am also aware of the risks of doing
> it remotely. But I need to do this.

You are headed in the right direction, start with the "open" option and
work from there, just be careful when you start adding rules and reloading
rulesets. Allow what you need, and let the default deny take care of
everything else.