Date:      Sun, 26 Aug 2018 09:20:39 +0800
From:      blubee blubeeme <gurenchan@gmail.com>
To:        pmcnary@cameron.net
Cc:        Johannes Lundberg <johalun0@gmail.com>, freebsd-stable@freebsd.org, mmacy@freebsd.org,  Ali Abdallah <aliovx@gmail.com>, FreeBSD current <freebsd-current@freebsd.org>, =?UTF-8?Q?Dag=2DErling_Sm=C3=B8rgrav?= <des@des.no>
Subject:   Re: drm / drm2 removal in 12
References:  <CAPrugNr9wN63ANjTYzyrHRegr9KTk_OSTLfrt%2BhktCnfKX=_mg@mail.gmail.com> <20180824215302.ivfna55jtrtc5trg@freebsd480.station> <CAPrugNqV6k2QTuiLerAKLB_hV1hkZNi4MLNqKU7MtVnMhMfPQw@mail.gmail.com> <CANCZdfp2rf=5e-qTV=-4yFrLPugn0UhtYovXdesJWbRWAjdGTg@mail.gmail.com> <CALM2mEmJVqfeERTL4AWw7cY3YfPUY6TFw==1hzBqsDJNDde_Uw@mail.gmail.com> <CAPrugNqsqQds6tBzeQcA%2B5tD4xh%2Bi1Fef2ta8Qjf5E6LTxPq4Q@mail.gmail.com> <CALM2mEmyjKD5vQexvHfeZK0Jud7HpGSn3RspBqFq49TzrfcwNg@mail.gmail.com> <86k1oepbdr.fsf@next.des.no> <CALM2mE=T_uEVPVi7J%2BjA-8c89T46%2B9X5wk1Xo5C8EfQmKap9yw@mail.gmail.com> <CAECmPwuX31et58uQ%2BryY0sugBTFsHTr-Rynm0jy67siz=J5SzQ@mail.gmail.com> <CALM2mE=tL5mTA4PPjYXmxdgeZbZBJDPUqXkAC5LEo3QcwYF3CQ@mail.gmail.com> <180f8f99-5fa1-1411-59e6-856e3ebc370c@cameron.net>

On Sun, Aug 26, 2018 at 9:08 AM Paul McNary <pmcnary@cameron.net> wrote:

> [...]
> It is just like linux where you have to pay Red Hat, Suse, etc.
> They break things even with point releases. Suse majorly
> screwed with video drivers back in the 9.x series. Totally
> broke major release. Their answer then was pay us or
> re-install bare metal and figure it out on your own.
> Other wise linux has always been, you get what you get for free.
> BSD is the same. If you are lucky some one like red hat, suse, XinuOS
> will be supporting and make their notes public, otherwise the
> OSS model doesn't include anything more than community support
> for what ever that is worth.
> I just upgraded a system from FreeBSD 9.x to 12.x, it took 2 weeks and
> several incremental upgrades sometimes to multiple point releases
> with in a major release. There is nothing really for free.
>

> On 8/25/2018 7:47 PM, blubee blubeeme wrote:
> > On Sun, Aug 26, 2018 at 8:16 AM Johannes Lundberg <johalun0@gmail.com>
> > wrote:

> everyone.

> the
> Linux.

> no

> and
> something

> break

> but if

> time

> if

> >> This has been discussed over and over on the mailing list and I don=E2=
=80=99t
> >> think anyone wants to do it over again so please feel free to search t=
he
> >> archives.
> >>
> >> You=E2=80=99re misinformed. We are not removing anything for anyone. W=
e are
> moving
> >> it to ports.
> >> =E2=80=9Cpkg install drm-legacy-kmod=E2=80=9D will install those drive=
rs for you that
> were
> >> earlier in base. I thought we have been clear about this but maybe we
> >> haven=E2=80=99t been clear enough.

> >> Have you or anyone working on this drm-legacy-kmod stuff done any
> testings
> > of how this will affect current users?
> >
> > 1) Take a [test] system with the current graphics stack installed and
> > working.
> > 2) Apply your patches to remove the drm from base to create a port
> > 3) update the working [test] system after applying your changes
> >
> > How does your changes affect a [test] system that is already up and
> running?
> >
> > Have any of you guys tried that? Do you have any documentation on how
> it'll
> > affect users.
> >
> > You guys want to remove things from the current system but you come wit=
h;
> > it works for us hobbyists.
> > Where do users go to get steps to do all of this stuff?
> >
> > You've repeatedly said what you want to do sure, but have you tested it=

I'll just post this again to try and keep the focus on the issue at hand.
=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D