Date:      Sat, 03 Mar 2001 06:25:36 -0800
From:      richard childers <fscked@pacbell.net>
To:        treznor@sunflower.com
Cc:        Jason Liao <maillist@Gallantry.com>, freebsd-questions@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: Hot swap IDE device?

I don't think this is an effort to sell a product. It's a single
reference to a vendor by a person whom is not particularly interested in
drumming up sales (he's an engineer, not a salesperson) but whom *is*
interested in contributing a real-life case of an IDE device that is
hot-swappable.

Thanks for contributing some solid facts to the debate, Tyler. There we
have it; with suitable intermediary electronics, IDE devices may be
safely swapped.

Does this mean that FreeBSD supports hot swapping? At this time, no; if
a user wishes to add such functionality it is possible but it is outside
the envelope of supported configurations at this point in time.

-- richard

Tyler McGeorge wrote:

> I admire your galant effort to sell products, but this
> comment doesn't seem to offer any help.
>
> Just a though,
> Tyler
> --- Jason Liao <maillist@Gallantry.com> wrote:
> > The company I work for makes a 1U rackmount machine.
> >  It has a RAID-1
> > mirrored disk subsystem.  The machine takes two IDE
> > hard disks, and the
> > RAID-1 board makes them appear as a single SCSI
> > drive to the CPU.  The
> > IDE disks are hot swapable.  (Sorry for the
> > commercial, but if you need
> > more details, see
> > http://www.gallantry.com/Doc/PDF/GallantRACK-1U.pdf
> > )
> >
> > Jason
> >

> > Tyler McGeorge wrote:
> > >
> > > I've actually seen a working IDE hot swap on a
> > Windows
> > > machine. It is possible, but, it does require the
> > hot
> > > swap kit and I believe they warn against doing it
> > on a
> > > regular basis to avoid hard disk damage. You might
> > > check the manual for the hot swap kit, it may
> > mount as
> > > a drive image or something bizarre.
> > >
> > > Best of luck,
> > > Ty

> > with "unsubscribe freebsd-questions" in the body of
> > the message

Richard A. Childers
Senor UNIX Administrator
fscked@pacbell.net (email)
203.556.8471 (voice/msgs)

# Providing administrative expertise (not 'damage control') since 1986.
# PGP fingerprint: 7EFF 164A E878 7B04 8E9F  32B6 72C2 D8A2 582C 4AFA