Date:      Mon, 22 Feb 2016 19:17:40 +1100
From:      Aristedes Maniatis <ari@ish.com.au>
To:        markham breitbach <markham@ssimicro.com>
Cc:        freebsd-jail <freebsd-jail@freebsd.org>
Subject:   Re: Jail management

--kejBCIdMMi0t6KHUxxURT5nll3bLgg39w

Markham wrote:

> One of the solutions I have found to the version issue is to build my o=
wn package repo. I build the packages the way I want, and then upload the=
m to my own package repo (which is just another jail running thttpd). I a=
lso keep a jail running with the ports tree frozen at the versions I am u=
sing for production.

Thanks for that idea. However I'm already doing all that with poudriere a=
nd it works well. However creating a new poudriere repo every 4 weeks wou=
ld be a little cumbersome.

Steve Hartland wrote:

> Checkout qjail from your description I think it will do what you want.

I took a look at the documentation I could find (just some stuff on Sourc=
eforge really) but nothing in qjail seemed to solve the issues of multipl=
e basejails or anything else that was causing me issues with ezjail.

I also discovered iocage which looks quite different and interesting. I'm=
 still reading about it, but it seems to:

* have multiple basejails

* use unionfs to create a "jail package" which looks like an overlay on a=
 jail. However there doesn't appear to be a feature to "undeploy" a packa=
ge, so not sure if it is the best way to deploy a certain version of an a=
pplication.

* have also a template feature which looks like the ezjail 'flavour'. You=
 can't change the template after you make a jail. Again, it looks like "d=
estroy jail" and make a new one.

I can't really understand the different practical use cases of 'package' =
and 'template' since they seem both very similar to ezjail flavours excep=
t in how you create them in the first place.

But the multiple basejail idea might just be what I need. I create a new =
basejail once a month with each new release of the software. I can't swit=
ch existing jails to a new basejail (I think), but I'd need to destroy an=
d recreate it from a new base and add my jail specific config bits.

Each jail could be upgraded as needed and not necessarily at the same tim=
e. Nice.

Ari

--=20
Aristedes Maniatis
ish
http://www.ish.com.au
phone +61 2 9550 5001   fax +61 2 9550 4001