Date:      Mon, 20 May 2002 00:32:23 -0600
From:      "Doug Schwieder" <dougschwieder@earthlink.net>
To:        <freebsd-questions@FreeBSD.ORG>
Subject:   ports install problems

------=_NextPart_000_0005_01C1FF95.CF04E8E0

Hi folks. I am at the end of my patience, so time to ask. I've been all =
through the man pages/books/internet looking for answers & don't see =
any.

After writing all of what's below, I can summarize my problem: X & =
friends don't work, and I can't install all of the ports, error messages =
come up. see the last paragraph for what looks like the obvious problem. =
The gory details are inbetween the 2.

Thanks.

Doug Schwieder=20

I've had problems with both kde & gnome not responding to mouse clicks. =
Always on the same buttons, in same windows, some graphical =
configuration stuff does'nt do anything when you try it. eg: =
screensavers, black screen instead of demos, no preview button, no edit =
options on some, optional window managers don't work, enlightenment, =
aren't listed, etc I could go on and on so I'm suspecting this stuff =
isn't completely installed. Uninstalled reinstalled 2 3 4 times can't =
keep track now.

More stuff is functional but same general situation.

In order to solve tried reinstalling "all" ports, to avoid problems and =
time installing separate packages. This doesn't work, error messages =
about not being able to find "9e...tar.gz", etc. Tried installing gnome =
& kde, same messages about numerous files. Solution: went to 2nd vt =
added packages that make said weren't there, went back to make again, =
each time this got me farther before error messages came up. Eventually =
added all the packages that make couldn't find, make happened error =
free. This went ditto for gnome & kde. This somewhat confused me though. =
Wasn't using "pkg_add..." installing the binaries, which make would have =
had to compile from source? If that's the difference between adding =
packages and ports, why did make suddenly find the source after adding =
the packages manually in binary form? Incidentally the names of the =
files that make said it couldn't find always had a slightly different =
extension than the package file on the cdrom. eg "gnome....tar.gz" in =
error message versus "gnome ....tgz" on cd. Also incidentally, for this =
reason I gave up on linux, exact same problem with Mandrake cd's I =
bought a year or 2 ago, gnome & kde weren't very functional.

Looking in the handbook that came with the dist, I see that make looks =
for the files in either /usr/ports/distfiles, which is almost completely =
empty, except for what I add manually, and /cdrom/ports/distfiles. On my =
cd's there isn't any ports directory on 3 or 4. Of course #1 has the =
ports directory but no distfiles. Is this the answer to why make can't =
find them? Or is this a typo in the book? Where does make look for the =
files?

------=_NextPart_000_0005_01C1FF95.CF04E8E0

<HTML><HEAD>
charset=3Diso-8859-1">
<STYLE></STYLE>
</HEAD>
<BODY bgColor=3D#fffff0>
<DIV><FONT size=3D2>Hi folks. I am at the end of my patience, so time to =
ask. I've=20
been all through the man pages/books/internet looking for answers &amp; =
don't=20
see any.</FONT></DIV>
<DIV><FONT size=3D2></FONT>&nbsp;</DIV>
<DIV><FONT size=3D2>After writing all of what's below, I can summarize =
my problem:=20
X &amp; friends don't work,&nbsp;and I can't install all of the ports, =
error=20
messages come up. see the last paragraph for what looks like the obvious =

problem. The gory details are inbetween the&nbsp;2.</FONT></DIV>
<DIV>&nbsp;</DIV>
<DIV><FONT size=3D2>Thanks.</FONT></DIV>
<DIV>&nbsp;</DIV>
<DIV><FONT size=3D2>Doug&nbsp;Schwieder</FONT>&nbsp;</DIV>
<DIV><FONT size=3D2></FONT>&nbsp;</DIV>
<DIV><FONT size=3D2>I've had problems with both kde &amp; gnome not =
responding to=20
mouse clicks. Always on the same buttons, in same windows, some =
graphical=20
configuration stuff does'nt do anything when you try it. eg: =
screensavers, black=20
screen instead of demos, no preview button, no edit options on some, =
optional=20
window managers don't work, enlightenment, aren't listed, etc I could go =
on and=20
on so I'm suspecting this stuff isn't completely installed. Uninstalled=20
reinstalled 2 3 4 times can't keep track now.</FONT></DIV>
<DIV><FONT size=3D2></FONT>&nbsp;</DIV>
<DIV><FONT size=3D2>More stuff is functional but same general=20
situation.</FONT></DIV>
<DIV><FONT size=3D2></FONT>&nbsp;</DIV>
<DIV><FONT size=3D2>In order to solve tried reinstalling "all" ports, to =
avoid=20
problems and time installing separate packages. This doesn't work, error =

messages about not being able to find "9e...tar.gz", etc. Tried =
installing gnome=20
&amp; kde, same messages about numerous files. Solution: went to 2nd vt =
added=20
packages that make said weren't there, went back to make again, each =
time this=20
got me farther before error messages came up. Eventually added all the =
packages=20
that make couldn't find, make happened error free. This went ditto for =
gnome=20
&amp; kde. This somewhat confused me though. Wasn't using "pkg_add..."=20
installing the binaries, which make would have had to compile from =
source? If=20
that's the difference between adding packages and ports, why did make =
suddenly=20
find the source after adding the packages manually in binary form? =
Incidentally=20
the names of the files that make said it couldn't find always had a =
slightly=20
different extension than the package file on the cdrom. eg =
"gnome....tar.gz" in=20
error message versus "gnome ....tgz" on cd. Also incidentally, for this =
reason I=20
gave up on linux, exact same problem with Mandrake cd's I bought a year =
or 2=20
ago, gnome &amp; kde weren't very functional.</FONT></DIV>
<DIV><FONT size=3D2></FONT>&nbsp;</DIV>
<DIV><FONT size=3D2>Looking in the handbook that came with the dist, I =
see that=20
make looks for the files in either /usr/ports/distfiles, which is almost =

completely empty, except for what I add manually, and =
/cdrom/ports/distfiles. On=20
my cd's there isn't any ports directory on 3 or 4. Of course #1 has the =
ports=20
directory but no distfiles. Is this the answer to why make can't find =
them? Or=20
is this a typo in the book? Where does make look for the =
files?</FONT></DIV>
<DIV><FONT size=3D2></FONT>&nbsp;</DIV>
<DIV><FONT size=3D2></FONT>&nbsp;</DIV></BODY></HTML>

------=_NextPart_000_0005_01C1FF95.CF04E8E0--