Date:      Sun, 21 Mar 1999 18:36:12 +0000 (GMT)
From:      Terry Lambert <tlambert@primenet.com>
To:        des@flood.ping.uio.no (Dag-Erling Smorgrav)
Cc:        dennis@etinc.com, hackers@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: NFS - Will it ever be fixed?

> > NFS continues, after many many years, to virtually lock up systems
> > when the server goes away and anything on it is in the path. If you
> > try to dismount it locks up also.
>
> That's a feature, and it can easily be turned off.
>
> "Users continue, after many years, to refuse to read documentation,
> and blame their incompetence on the OS and its developers...."

Making the thing fail with ESTALE on a server reboot is probably not
as interesting to him as making the client recover from a server
reboot.

There was a recent posting on either -chat or -advocacy from an
engineer at Apple working on Rhapsody (Mac Server X) using FreeBSD
and NetBSD code.

Apple has (apparently) corrected a lot of the NFS bogosity (amazing
what you can do by ignoring the outside world and working within
your own source tree), and the posting indicated a willingness (and
a desire) to get these changes integrated back into FreeBSD.

					Terry Lambert
					terry@lambert.org
---
or previous employers.