Date:      Tue, 13 Aug 2002 17:24:37 +0200
From:      Olivier Tharan <olive@oban.frmug.org>
To:        stable@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: Need instructions:  build kernel on one machine;  install on another

* Dmitry Agafonov <aga@rsm.ru> (20020813 18:20):
> The question still remains - can one build a number of kernels and
> then install them? This will save some time on updating a number
> of machines: 3 steps (cvsup'ing and world and kernel(s) building)
> may be fully automated.

You can put several kernel names in the KERNCONF variable in make.conf:

	KERNCONF=       SUZIE WEIRDOS HOBBES

The only trick which I learned some days ago is you have to put the name
of the local kernel first in the list (here SUZIE will be the kernel I
install on the build machine with 'make installkernel').

On the other machines, you only need to put the machine's kernel name in
the KERNCONF variable in make.conf.

olive
--
C makes it easy to shoot yourself in the foot.  C++ makes it harder, but
when you do, it blows away your whole leg.  -- Bjarne Stroustrup on C++