Date:      Mon, 01 Apr 96 09:57:24 PST
From:      "Brett Glass" <Brett_Glass@ccgate.infoworld.com>
To:        Andreas Klemm <andreas@knobel.gun.de>
Cc:        freebsd-hardware@freebsd.org, bugs@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: Cannot boot after install

> Well this sounds silly. A lame excuse of your hardware vendor.

Unfortunately, the maker of the drive happens to be Seagate. They're rather
large, and just got larger. One has to accommodate them.

> Figure out, only because one hardware vendor decides, that this
> has to be done by the OS, not by BIOS or jumper setting, all OS
> vendors or SCSI controller vendors have to rewrite their drivers
> or firmware to turn off the green feature in case of trouble ?!

This is an ATA drive. I was really surprised to find no jumper, but there
isn't one.  Seagate supplies a software solution for DOS, where
(ironically) it is least needed.

Anyway, the real problem is that FreeBSD's ATA disk driver is
single-threaded and busy-waits in the kernel for commands to be accepted by
the drive. The spindown/spinup would not really be a problem if the driver
was coded using more robust techniques. (OS/2, for example, has no problems
on the same machine.)

--Brett