Date:      Sun, 10 Nov 2002 02:26:56 -0500 (EST)
From:      Stephen Hovey <shovey@buffnet.net>
To:        joe <joe-dated-1037323668.d621ae@dubium.com>
Cc:        FreeBSD Questions <freebsd-questions@FreeBSD.ORG>
Subject:   Re: REASON #7919 NOT to do things as root!

/etc/passwd is made from master.passwd for those jobbies that still need
to look at the old style text file instead of making kernel calls.  You
can regenerate it - I always forget the damn program name - mk_pwdb or
something like that - when I forget, I use vipw, change a latter in my
real name in the geco, and save - that regens the whole thing too.