Date:      Mon, 15 Dec 2014 15:03:24 +0000
From:      Steven Hartland <killing@multiplay.co.uk>
To:        Jeffrey Bouquet <jeffreybouquet@yahoo.com>,  "freebsd-ports@freebsd.org" <freebsd-ports@freebsd.org>
Subject:   Re: Another pkg showstopper-- more information

On 12/12/2014 19:22, Jeffrey Bouquet wrote:
> On 12/12/14 10:25, Steven Hartland wrote:
>> Unless I'm missing something you don't actually provide any
>> information about the issue your actually seeing?
>>
>> I personally have already updated 10 or so boxes with a wide range of
>> packages to pkg 1.4 and apart from a change with the handling of pkg
>> upgrade -f <pkg>, which was an intended fix, I didn't have any problems.
>>
>> So not sure what your "show stopper" is or what you think could be
>> tested more thoroughly (don't forget the call for testing did go out
>> the other week, so looks like there was quite a bit of opportunity to
>> get involved.
>>
>>      Regards
>>      Steve
>>
>> On 12/12/2014 18:20, Jeffrey Bouquet via freebsd-ports wrote:
>>> Reverted to pkg, by build, and FORCE PKG REGISTER.
>>>
>>> pkgs still cannot be installed.
>>>
>>> Still stuck with ports ( however portupgrade -- non-packages -- seems
>>> to be
>>> working with this pkg << pkg-devel downgrade )
>>>
>>> (/ portmaster?  == no, cannot get
>>> handle, lock on database)  only.
>>>
>>> ..............###########...............##################...........
>>>
>>> Should pkg and/or pkg-devel be more thoroughly tested before
>>> release into the tree?   No other pkg usually hints at similar pkg
>>> system(s) breakage without a proven recovery/rollback procedure
>>> already documented...  similar to what portupgrade does with its
>>> saving of shared libraries prior to upgrade of a port.

Bringing the list back into this, as its not my area:

> pkg install wants to install extra ports and abort traps
You'll want to post details about, OS version, pkg version, and the
exact error with any stack trace
> pkg add a "pkg fetched" file, cannot install it by package, wrong
> architecture
> (freebsd >> FreeBSD or vice versa, setting somewhere, etc)
This doesn't make any sense to me, to others it may do but, always best
to include proper steps and the output of the commands so people know
exactly what your doing and the issue your seeing.
> portupgrade works on some ports still, but machine > machine broken
> because of pkg issues
> and portupgrade -P broken similarly
>
> portmaster cannot install,  convoluted error (lock on database and/or
> already installed error(s))
>
> So the /var/db/pkg build machine functionality also the portmaster  -P
> portupgrade -P
> are broken.  Here.  Maybe these could be tested on all architectures
> before each new package
> upgrade?  Another layer of machines, so to speak, "just because NOT "
Again you don't provide any real details of the issues, you might of
well have said "its broken"