Date:      Tue, 13 Jun 2000 09:25:40 -0700 (PDT)
From:      Matthew Jacob <mjacob@feral.com>
To:        Warner Losh <imp@village.org>
Cc:        Poul-Henning Kamp <phk@critter.freebsd.dk>, Doug Rabson <dfr@nlsystems.com>, Doug Rabson <dfr@FreeBSD.ORG>, arch@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: cvs commit: src/sys/pci pci.c pcisupport.c pcivar.h

> : "Found <FOOcorp magicchip 1242> Configure \"blaha\" driver in your kernel"
> :
> : I can see all the bloat arguments, but I have to say that the idea
> : has some merit...
>
> How could the kernel know all possible device drivers, even third
> party ones?

That's the point about how Solaris does this (or did- originally).

I have a card identifying itself as "Fred". At boot (or boot/reconfigure)
time, you tentatively load all drivers and enter their identify entry point
with a dev_info_t asking, "do you drive this device?". Simple enough. The hard
part is to try (if you think it's important) to arbitrate between several
different drivers who want to drive that device.

-matt