Date:      Mon, 9 Oct 2000 16:34:34 -0500 (CDT)
From:      Dave Uhring <duhring@charter.net>
To:        Gary Kline <kline@thought.org>
Cc:        Gerhard Sittig <Gerhard.Sittig@gmx.net>, freebsd-stable@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: the ``stray irq 7'' is back

The usual reason for getting these spurious IRQ's is that the equipment is
not properly connected, leaving the Centronics ACK pin floating.  A
floating input can take just about any voltage level, depending on ambient
EMI noise.  When the pin voltage floats (damn if I remember the exact
logic level anymore) the IRQ is triggered.  Same thing happened with a
firewall box I had on IRQ 15 with no secondary IDE drives attached.

The real fun with these spurious IRQ's happens when you are doing a
humongous download and one packet out of 5000 gets corrupted by an
overflow on your NIC's buffer because the CPU was busy dealing with the
IRQ.  The NIC drivers apparently do not check for underflow/overflow
conditions.  Then when you attempt to unzip your tarball, you get the
message 'header not found...'  I had that happen when I was trying to get
the StarOffice-5.1a package from Sun - 69MB shot to hell.

Dave