Date:      Sat, 21 Jun 1997 09:43:32 -0500 (EST)
From:      John Fieber <jfieber@indiana.edu>
To:        ports@freebsd.org
Subject:   Multiple versions of a ported item

Most ports that I'm aware of are of the type where you typically
have one version installed.  If an upgrade comes along, you
either remove the old version and install the new, or just lay
the new on top of the old.  Even where distinct versions of a
port exist, eg netscape3 and netscape4, you can really can only
have one installed at a time.

In moving SGML tools into port form, I've run into the situation
where it is desirable to have multiple versions of a port
installed simultaneously, for example several versions of the
HTML or DocBook DTDs.  I'm not sure how would be the best way to
deal with this.  Should there be separate ports for each version,
or would it be better to have one port including all versions?

I'm sort of leaning toward the latter because the former could
generate a lot of ports and the space demands of including all
versions isn't very big.

Other opinions?

-john