Date:      Sat, 27 Oct 2001 08:37:16 -0700 (PDT)
From:      Tenebrae <tenebrae@niceboots.com>
To:        Holtor <holtor@yahoo.com>
Cc:        questions@FreeBSD.ORG, stable@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: Quota Reporting Errors

On Fri, 26 Oct 2001, Holtor wrote:

> Hello Everyone,
>
> We seem to be having a strange quota problem on one
> of our web hosting servers. Quota is reporting
> that a user is over their quota on /usr but they
> most certantly are not.

The same problem exists on freeBSD web servers where I work.  If a user
goes over their quota, it keeps reporting they're over their quota until
their web process is hupped...we even had a script (usrserv) that would
let the user restart their process themselves (since it was owned by
root).
Using du in their home directory would show if they were REALLY over their
quota (in our case, it was usually their apache log files putting them
over the edge).
I never quite understood the mechanism behind all this, but it worked.
								-Tenebrae.
---
I'm not a sysadmin, but I play one on TV.