Date:      Mon, 5 Aug 2002 22:13:22 +0000
From:      Josh Paetzel <friar_josh@webwarrior.net>
To:        Rachel Moore <rachel@sooty.org>, "Bruce A. Mah" <bmah@FreeBSD.ORG>
Cc:        freebsd-stable@FreeBSD.ORG, Rachel Moore <rachelm@sooty.org>
Subject:   Re: MODE SENSE BIG

On Monday 05 August 2002 16:23, Rachel Moore wrote:
> On Fri, Aug 02, 2002 at 03:04:11PM -0700, Bruce A. Mah wrote:
> > Are you using something later than this?  As far as I know,
4.6-STABLE
> > after 31 July contains all ata(4) fixes.
>
> I'm getting this with an SMP kernel (with RELENG_4, supped
> earlier today):
>
> acd0: MODE_SENSE_BIG command timeout - resetting
> ata1: resetting devices .. done
> acd0: MODE_SENSE_BIG command timeout - resetting
> ata1: resetting devices .. done
>
> [etc]
>
> and then it panics.
>
> I don't have this problem with a non-SMP kernel, however.
>
> Cheers,
>
> Rachel.

At the very least you are going to want to do a dmesg and uname -a and
take the panic string and do a send-pr.  I can tell you from
experience with SMP that at this point in the game, with 5.0's new
SMP code just around the corner, no one is going to really be
enthusiastic about jumping on this.  (I can reliably hang my SMP box,
it's completely reproducable, and the pr is just out there in limbo
since December or so. :)

Don't get me wrong, I'm not trying to make anyone look like they don't
care, but this is a volunteer project, and it makes sense to divert
resources as efficiently as possible.

Josh