Date:      Tue, 14 Jul 1998 11:22:13 -0700 (PDT)
From:      patl@phoenix.volant.org
To:        Peter van Heusden <pvh@leftside.wcape.school.za>
Cc:        freebsd-hackers@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: Detecting the presence of threads (for a port)

Peter van Heusden wrote (in a slightly different order):
> P.S. Who else (if anyone) is working on ldap at present?

I've been working on setting up some LDAP-based facilities for
my virtual domain customers.  I haven't really dug into the ldap
sources much though.

> I've been merging Terry Lambert's patches to ldap-3.3 (which include the
> Critical Angle patches as well as some of Terry's own) with the existing
> ldap port, and managed to get a working build (which needs an hour or two
> of cleaning up). The port, however, requires pthreads, which requires
> libc_r. I was wondering how to deal with this. Two questions:
>
> 1) How to detect the existence of pthreads? I assume a pre-configure test
> for libc_r should do?
>
> 2) Should pthreads be required in the default port? Since they are not
> available with an out-of-the-box 2.2 FreeBSD, I assume not, in which case
> I'd have to break the pthread patches out into a seperate set of files,
> and only apply them if a particular make variable is set. Does this make
> sense?

Hmmm.  If pthreads were a port; I'd say just make it a dependancy
and let the build auto-install it.  On the whole, I'm inclined to
go ahead and require it.  Add a test to the top-level Makefile that
emits a message and aborts if it can't find libc_r or pthread.h.
The message should briefly indicate how to install pthreads; or at
least where to find that info.

-Pat