Date:      Wed, 28 Nov 2001 10:26:03 +0200
From:      Giorgos Keramidas <charon@labs.gr>
To:        Jonathan Hilgeman <JHilgeman@ecx.com>
Cc:        questions@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: How to Kill Active UNIX Domain Sockets

On 2001-11-26 17:38:27, Jonathan Hilgeman wrote:
> Sorry about the barrage of questions today, but can someone tell me how I
> can close down "Active UNIX domain sockets" that are listed in netstat? I
> have 28 pages of this (with different addresses at the beginning):
>
> d68fce00 stream      0      0        0        0        0        0
> /tmp/mysql.sock
>
> How can I close all these? I think they're barraging my server.

You can use sockstat's -lu options to find the process ID of the
programs that have these open, and kill the programs:

    $ sockstat -lu
    USER     COMMAND    PID   FD PROTO  ADDRESS
    root     screen    1819    4 stream /tmp/screens/S-charon/1819.ttyv1.hades
    charon   ssh-agen   268    3 stream /tmp/ssh-Oq3O6X8E/agent.267
    root     screen     242    4 stream /tmp/screens/S-sysop/242.ttyv0.hades
    bind     named      164    5 stream /var/run/ndc
    root     syslogd    158    3 dgram  /var/run/log

Look at the ADDRESS and PID columns :-)

-giorgos