Date:      Mon, 29 Sep 2003 09:49:57 +1000
From:      "Anthony Carmody" <anthony@carmoda.com>
To:        <freebsd-questions@freebsd.org>
Subject:   Ethernet Drivers with 5.1 not happening

Hiya,

I posted a question about this last week. I have done a little homework and
I am resubmitting my question with more information and i hope someone can
help this time around.

I am building a FreeBSD 5.1 box for a client using a fairly new ASUS
Mainboard, that SHOULD according to the HARDWARE.TXT file on my installer
CDROM, work with all the hardware chip-sets concerned. precisely, an "Intel
82562EZ LAN PHY".

These are the relevant lines i get from "pciconf -lv" :

none3@pci1:8:0: class=0x2020000 card=0x80f81043 chip=0x10508086 rev=0x02
hdr=0x00
vendor = 'Intel Corporation'
class = network
subclass = ethernet

AND this is what i get from "dmesg | more" :

pci1: <ACPI PCI bus> on pcib1
pci1: <network, ethernet> at device 8.0 (no driver attached)

is there a way i might just install some drivers without reinstalling the
whole system? I think someone has made some recently, although i am not
familiar with the procedure of obtaining and installing them. I have
experience installing from ISO images and adding the odd port but not much
beyond that. Here is the link to the mailing.freebsd.cvs-current thread im
not sure about:

http://groups.google.com/groups?hl=en&lr=&ie=UTF-8&th=c2cc18e7fd2e3621&rnum=
1

any info is greatly appreciated always.