Date:      Wed, 3 Jan 2001 17:21:32 +1030
From:      Greg Lehey <grog@lemis.com>
To:        Zero Sum <count@shalimar.net.au>
Cc:        Jim King <jim@jimking.net>, Alfred Perlstein <bright@wintelcom.net>, Thomas Seck <tmseck@web.de>, freebsd-stable@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   RAID costs (was: Vinum safe to use for raid 0?)

On Wednesday,  3 January 2001 at 15:27:49 +1100, Zero Sum wrote:
> On Wed, 3 Jan 2001, I (Zero Sum) wrote:
> On Wednesday 03 January 2001 13:49, Tom wrote in reponse:
>
>>  But you don't use RAID 5 for performance.  RAID is about reliablity.  If
>> you want reliability and performance, RAID10 wins.  If you are operating
>> on a budget use RAID5, or if you are putting toghether a lot of storage,
>> RAID50.
>
> Jim and Tom mention the factor of expense.  In Australia, I think we pay
> about five times the price that Americans seem to (this is not a
> price/currency conversion)

Either I'm misunderstanding you, or you're paying too much.

> but I still can't take that factor seriously.  Disk space is
> *cheap*.  As Tom says, for reliability and performance RAID1/0 wins.
> Using RAID 5 is "spoiling the ship for a pennyworth of tar", or so
> it seems to me.

For a certain definition of "cheap", sure.  Let's assume you want a 10
TB web server.  Never mind the cost of enclosures, just using
relatively cheap disks like the IBM DTLA-307075, 75 GB a throw and
available for about AUD 800, you're talking 130 drives, or a little
over AUD 100K.  And that with no redundancy.  Add RAID-5, and you may
pay $20K more.  Use RAID-1 instead and your costs have gone up by
$100K instead of $20K.  What do you have to show for it?  Increased
power consumption, increased likelihood of a drive failure.  But
hardly any difference in performance.

> Hardware RAID is expensive.  If you make that investment, the price
> of more disk should not be important.

By comparison, hardware RAID is cheap.  Software RAID is cheaper, of
course, and what we've seen indicates that the performance is
significantly better.

> Software RAID gets slower the more complex it is.  RAID 5 is
> considerably more complex than 0/1.  Wouldn't you be better off
> spending money on a less capable processor and more disk?  I haven't
> done any measurements here.  I am only going from (limited)
> experience.

You're also being rather vague.  There's a more detailed explanation
at http://www.vinumvm.org/vinum/intro.html.

> But I can't see 'expense' as a justifying factor here.  Not in a
> professional arena.

Precisely there.   $80K for no particular purpose is not commercially
justifiable.

> Greg mentioned a situation (web server) where there are many reads
> (99%).  I think that for RAID 5 to help matters much, you would have
> to have a very high hit rate on an immense number of different
> static pages.  The read performance of 5 vs 1/0 is there, but it is
> marginal.  Whether it gives you any improvement or not (how much, if
> any) is very dependant on what is going on in bufferspace.

No, in real life you can assume that you're not going to have very
much cached.  And RAID-5 is no faster than RAID-1 on reads, but it's
also not measurably slower.

Greg