Date:      Fri, 17 Aug 2001 14:18:08 -0300 (ART)
From:      Fernando Gleiser <fgleiser@cactus.fi.uba.ar>
To:        Gabriel Ambuehl <gabriel_ambuehl@buz.ch>
Cc:        <questions@FreeBSD.ORG>
Subject:   Re[2]: Host unable to  ping/access its own IPs

On Fri, 17 Aug 2001, Gabriel Ambuehl wrote:

> While it appears to be solving the problem, I wouldn't consider it a
> real
> solution cause the TCP/IP stack break if one uses the CORRECT netmask
> on it. But thanks a lot anyway, this is going to save me some trouble
> for at
> least the short term.

It is the documented behavior of IP aliases, from ifconfig(8):

     alias   Establish an additional network address for this interface.  This
             is sometimes useful when changing network numbers, and one wishes
             to accept packets addressed to the old interface.  If the address
             is on the same subnet as the first network address for this in-
             terface, a netmask of 0xffffffff has to be specified.

There was a post some time ago explaining why.

			Fer