Date:      Fri, 11 Apr 2003 10:36:01 -0500 (CDT)
From:      "Doug Poland" <doug@polands.org>
To:        <questions@freebsd.org>
Subject:   XFree86 4.2  font strangeness

Hello,

I'm not very well versed in XFree86 and fonts so I may do a poor job
of describing my problem, but here goes...

I had just installed a port (Eclipse 2.1) that requires gtk20.  The
port installed fine, and ran with "normal" or "small" fonts.  In
proportion to the screen, much like M$ Windows in that the font is
relatively "small".  These fonts are the fonts used for menus and
the like.

I had to reboot the box into Windows then reboot again into FreeBSD
4.8-STABLE.  When I launched Eclipse, this time the fonts where
"huge".  At least 2x the size they were before.  So large in fact
that fonts in dialog boxes are clipped.

So my questions is, what happened?   How do I get my "small" fonts
back?  Is there a primer somewhere on how fonts are handled in X?
I'm willing to read and do the leg work but I know so little of how
all this all works I need a place to start,

Many thanks for your patience and assistance.

--
Regards,
Doug