Date:      Thu, 28 Feb 2002 18:08:56 -0500
From:      Bill Moran <wmoran@potentialtech.com>
To:        "Henning, Brian" <brian.henning@navitaire.com>, questions@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: samba connection

On Thursday 28 February 2002 16:34, Henning, Brian wrote:
> hello-
> can someone give me a hand with samba. I got some info from
> the freebsd diary but i can't see my bsd box in w2k.
>
> objective:
> to get share files between win2k professional and freebsd 4.5
> peer to peer using samba.
>
> steps so far:
> 1) Installed the samba package.
>    pkg_add -r samba
> 2) cp /usr/local/etc/smb.conf.default /usr/local/etc/smb.conf
> 3) edit the smb.conf file
>    hosts allow = 192.168.1
>    workgroup = THE-MATRIX
>    socket options = TCP_NODELAY
>    guest account = guest

Do you have a user named "guest" on the machine?

>    remote announce = 192.168.1.255/THE-MATRIX
>    security = share
> 4) looking to find the share in w2k.

What do you see?  Do you see the machine listed in the browse
list at all?  Have you gone through the DIAGNOSIS.txt file that
comes with Samba?  Did you check /var/log/smb.log to see if there
are any telltale messages?

--
Bill Moran
Potential Technology technical services