Date:      Sat, 04 Mar 2000 09:20:09 -0700
From:      Brett Glass <brett@lariat.org>
To:        Mark Newton <newton@internode.com.au>, chat@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: Great American Gas Out

At 04:42 PM 3/3/2000 , Mark Newton wrote:

>Our prices are held *up* by the fact that over 50% of them constitute
>State and Federal taxes.

Same in the US and Europe. Driving is a sin that must be taxed, y'know.

This week, I traveled from Wyoming to California and discovered that
gas prices were 25% higher in the Golden State than in the Cowboy
State. Why? Because Californians "tax" themselves by requiring that
everyone buy fuel with high concentrations of MTBE, an oxygenating agent.
MTBE was supposed to reduce pollution, but in fact is a worse pollutant
than oxides of nitrogen ever were. However, since only California
refineries make gas with a high enough concentration of MTBE, Californians
are locked into buying from these few sources and the price goes up.
WAY up. Los Angeles will have $2.50 gas this summer.

It's the same the whole world over. Energy policies and fuel costs aren't
driven by markets or even common sense. They are controlled by big
cartels, big government, and politics.

--Brett Glass