Date:      Thu, 28 Mar 2002 12:12:00 -0800
From:      "Crist J. Clark" <cjc@FreeBSD.ORG>
To:        Attila Nagy <bra@fsn.hu>
Cc:        Alex Holst <a@area51.dk>, security@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: pf OR ipf ?

On Thu, Mar 28, 2002 at 01:20:40PM +0100, Attila Nagy wrote:
> Hello,
>
> > pf currently runs only on OpenBSD. Jordan Hubbard has expressed
> > annoyance with the fact that there are now three filters (ipfw, ipf and
> > pf) so it seems unlikely that FreeBSD is going to port it.
> I'm sad to hear that. I think diversity is a good thing. With FreeBSD if
> you are paranoid you can set up your firewall rules in two packet filters,
> which has a different codebase. So if one fails, it is unlikely that the
> other will too.
> I think it is good to have more than one packet filter in the kernel :)
>
> With PF some more features could be also ported, like the bridge support.
> And that would be a good thing also.

There is nothing special about PF that makes bridge support
easier. Afterall, there is mature bridging support for IPFilter in
OpenBSD. I also recently committed a hack for IPFilter bridging
support in -CURRENT. I'll put the -STABLE patches on the website
listed in the headers and .sig today if anyone wants 'em.