Date:      Fri, 28 Oct 2005 07:01:41 -0500 (CDT)
From:      Sergey Babkin <babkin@verizon.net>
To:        Vaibhave Agarwal <vaibhave@cs.utah.edu>
Cc:        freebsd <freebsd-net@freebsd.org>, freebsd <freebsd-hackers@freebsd.org>
Subject:   Re: Re: how to make the FreeBSD 6.0 run faster

>From: Robert Watson <rwatson@FreeBSD.org>
>On Thu, 27 Oct 2005, Vaibhave Agarwal wrote:
>
>> How do u disable malloc debugging flags in the userland? I read
>> somewhere that " ln -s aj /etc/malloc.conf" disables malloc debugging.
>> How does it work?
>>
>> And how to disable verbose features in the kernel?
>>
>> Apart from this, are there other ways to make the kernel run faster??
>
>Other than that, you'll need to tell us what you're doing.

And the most important part: try to optimize your application
first. I've seen a surprizing number of people who feel
that they need to do something with the kernel while what
is really suboptimal (or downright broken) is their application.
When writing programs people make many assumptions about
what is fast and often these assumptions are wrong, plus
there are bugs where the code generally works but does it slowly.
This is especially true for applications written in C++
and other OO languages, and for threaded applications.
If you want to have a cost-efficient solution, the applications
really need to be profiled and measured, and all the performance
squeezed out of them before going into the kernel.

-SB