Date:      Fri, 1 Feb 2002 13:18:46 +0100
From:      Erik Trulsson <ertr1013@student.uu.se>
To:        Mathieu Arnold <ma@absolight.fr>
Cc:        FreeBSD questions <freebsd-questions@FreeBSD.ORG>
Subject:   Re: the LINT file

On Fri, Feb 01, 2002 at 12:45:00PM +0100, Mathieu Arnold wrote:
> I'm actually upgrading one of my test box from 4_4 to 4_5, and I
> stumbled on this :
>
> # Tune the kernel malloc area parameters.  VM_KMEM_SIZE represents the
> # minimum, in bytes, and is typically (12*1024*1024) (12MB).
> # VM_KMEM_SIZE_MAX represents the maximum, typically 200 megabytes.
> # VM_KMEM_SIZE_SCALE can be set to adjust the auto-tuning factor, which
> # typically defaults to 4 (kernel malloc area size is physical memory
> # divided by the scale factor).
> #
> options        VM_KMEM_SIZE="(10*1024*1024)"
> options        VM_KMEM_SIZE_MAX="(100*1024*1024)"
> options        VM_KMEM_SIZE_SCALE="4"
>
> the comment says that VM_KMEM_SIZE is set to 12MB but it's set to 10,
> and that _MAX is set to 200 but it's set to 100...
> I heard once that if the comment and the code differed, they were both
> wrong :)
> so, what should be the default values ?

The values used in LINT are usually and intentionally *not* the default
values. The reason for this is to try to make sure that you get at
least some testing with non-default values.

To find the actual default values used I suggest you look in the code.
(The actual .c/.h files that is. LINT is not the code.)

The comments in LINT are probably correct though.

--
<Insert your favourite quote here.>
Erik Trulsson