Date:      Mon, 02 Nov 1998 03:50:50 -0800
From:      "Jordan K. Hubbard" <jkh@time.cdrom.com>
To:        dg@root.com
Cc:        Jun-ichiro itojun Itoh <itojun@itojun.org>, obrien@NUXI.com, Garrett Wollman <wollman@khavrinen.lcs.mit.edu>, current@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: IPv6 in -current

>    I actually would like to see a more thorough integration with the standard
> tools being able to deal with both IPv4 and IPv6 simultaneously. It probably
> makes sense to hold off on doing that work until KAME becomes a standard part
> of the system, however - doing so now would make it a lot more difficult to
> track FreeBSD-current.

Yeah, if I had my druthers (and what the hell are "druthers" anyway,
and who here has ever had any that they knew of?  Why is English such
a peculiar language?  And why...  Erm, excuse me, I guess that's not
really important right now), I'd want to see the IPv6 bits integrated
with the following provisos:

1. If you make the world with NOIPV6, the tools are built in the
   traditional fashion without any support for IPv6 at all.  This
   would let the solution-in-a-box folks continue to compile binaries
   with the smallest possible footprint, assuming that some of them
   will have no need for IPv6.

2. If a binary (like ping) has been compiled with both v4/v6 support
   and you simply want to turn its IPv6 behavior off for some reason,
   it should check a well-known environment variable from its main()
   to switch the relevant code in and out.  Purists might even
   argue that IPv6 should be turned off by default and only enabled
   through such an environment variable (or compiler flag) rather than
   the other way around.  I guess I don't care either way so long as
   IPv6 eventually, at the suitable time, becomes a desirable out-of-box
   default for FreeBSD.

3. It interoperates with the other *BSDs and whatever form of IPv6
   they've chosen.

I also agree that I don't think we can fence-sit on this one too much
longer, as much as I also *hate* the idea of alienating some other
group of hard-working IPv6 people.  Not all decisions are either easy
or avoidable.

- Jordan