Date:      Mon, 17 Mar 2003 12:04:08 +1030
From:      Greg 'groggy' Lehey <grog@FreeBSD.org>
To:        Brian McCann <bjm1287@ritvax.isc.rit.edu>
Cc:        freebsd-questions@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: Dirty shutdown and I'm now stuck

--y0Ed1hDcWxc3B7cn

On Sunday, 16 March 2003 at 19:58:25 -0500, Brian McCann wrote:
> Ok...I just had a system crash that I was working on.  When coming back
> up, I got an error that says it cannot read a block on the disk, and to
> run fsck manually.  When I run "fsck -f /dev/adwhatever" it just says
> the same thing, listing the blocks it can't read, asks "Continue [yn]",
> and no matter what I choose, I still can't mount it.  Anyone have any
> ides on how to fix this?

Looks like it's time to dig out your backups.  "Can't read a block"
normally means that the disk is dying.

You may be able to salvage something by mounting read-only and trying
to copy to a new disk.  You don't need a clean file system for a
read-only mount.

Greg

--y0Ed1hDcWxc3B7cn

--y0Ed1hDcWxc3B7cn--