Date:      Thu, 7 Mar 2002 14:05:35 -0600
From:      Bob Giesen <BobGiesen@earthlink.net>
To:        Peter Ulrich Kruppa <root@pukruppa.de>, Peter Leftwich <Hostmaster@Video2Video.Com>
Cc:        Greg Lehey <grog@FreeBSD.ORG>, FreeBSD Questions <freebsd-questions@FreeBSD.ORG>
Subject:   Re: Cannot change X screen resolution [tcsh?]

On Thursday 07 March 2002 12:50 am, Peter Ulrich Kruppa wrote:
> On Wed, 6 Mar 2002, Peter Leftwich wrote:
> > Isn't this discussion about 2> and &1 etc. shell-dependent
> > (tcsh)?
>
> No.

   As I understood a post from a tcsh-savvy user, the redirection
discussion is shell-dependent.  I rashly offered advice (incomplete,
at that) based only upon sh/ksh conventions.  If you used my examples
in a ourne or Korn shell, they should have worked.  As for other
shells, I defer to those who actually know something about them.

> Last week I installed the latest XFree86-4 port and since then I
> cannot "Zoom" with
> anymore...
> I also tried to enter something like
> ModeLine "800x600" ...
> into XF86Conf but it stays with default 1024x768

   This is probably obvious, but the obvious is often overlooked, so:
first off, make sure you're changing the right file -- that the
pathname didn't change from the previous version of XF86 to your
current one.
   If you're looking at the right file (fwiw, on my 4.1.0 system,
it's /etc/X11/XF86Config), look for Section "Screen" (prob. at the
end of the file).  Under that, what is the DefaultDepth value?  If
it's 24, e.g., look now for the SubSection "Display" that has the
Depth 24 line.  In that subsection, there should be a "Modes" line
with one or more resolutions listed.  The first resolution shown is
the one that XF86 will (as I understand it) use for your default
resolution.
   If there's only one resolution listed for your default color
depth, that would seem to explain why the server won't switch
resolutions.  (There are certainly other possibilities, but I can
only venture guesses at those.)  If so, you can safely either
(A) switch your DefaultDepth to match the Display Subsection
    with 800x600 as the first mode (if such one exists) or
(B) change the resolution from 1024x768 to 800x600 in the
    subsection that matches your DefaultDepth.  (NOTE: be
    sure that you have a corresponding ModeLine that won't
    smoke your monitor.  I found the following useful:
    http://koala.ilog.fr/cgi-bin/nph-colas-modelines)

   If you still can't get it going, you might consider sending your
XF86Config file and/or checking for an XFree86 list for help.
   I don't have the beginning of this thread, anymore, so I'm
wondering if your graphics card was detected properly in
configuration and/or if you're sure you're using the correct driver.
(Prior disclaimer towards the obvious still applies... :-) )
   Hth.
Bob

--
"I hate quotations." -- Ralph Waldo Emerson (1803 - 1882)