Date:      Thu, 3 Jan 2013 14:17:32 +0000
From:      Chris Rees <crees@FreeBSD.org>
To:        Fabian Keil <freebsd-listen@fabiankeil.de>
Subject:   Re: What is policy about auto-editing config files on port install / deinstall?

On 3 January 2013 12:12, Fabian Keil <freebsd-listen@fabiankeil.de> wrote:
> Scot Hetzel <swhetzel@gmail.com> wrote:
>
>> On Wed, Jan 2, 2013 at 2:37 PM, Miroslav Lachman <000.fbsd@quip.cz> wrote:
>> > Is somewhere written policy or portmgr recommendation about ports behavior
>> > on install / deinstall?
>
> My impression is that every maintainer has her own undocumented
> policy although the approaches taken could be grouped into a few
> categories.

There is as far as I know no portmgr recommendation about stopping
services etc; one may suggest that the inclusion of @stopdaemon
support is encouragement, but also it's only supposed to be used if
stopping the service is vital upon deinstall according to many.

>> > I am talking about some ports doing "nasty" things.
>> >
>> > Some ports are stopping services on deinstall, some not.
>>
>> I prefer that when a port is uninstalled, that the service is stopped.
>
> As long as it is optional and doesn't happen automatically
> I could live with that.

Having this configurable with the current pkg_install suite is
basically a non-starter.

Allegedly this is a feature planned for pkgng.

Currently, it is generally discouraged to put @stopdaemon into your
pkg-plist unless something will probably break leaving your service
running.

Chris