Date:      Mon, 15 Jun 1998 09:24:40 -0600 (CST)
From:      "Victor M. Carranza G." <victor@mp.lex.gob.gt>
Subject:   SCO library: bad magic?

I am trying to install PHP3 3.0 with Oracle support, building it as an
apache 1.3.0 module. Oracle 7.3.2 is running, Apache compiles just
perfectly out-of-the-box, PHP3 compiles with no problem too... but when
trying to build a new apache, including the php3 module, I get this:

# ./configure --prefix=/usr/local/apache --activate-module=src/modules/php3/libphp3.a
Configuring for Apache, Version 1.3.0
 + activated php3 module (modules/php3/libphp3.a)
Creating Makefile
Creating Configuration.apaci in src
Creating Makefile in src
 + configured for FreeBSD 3.0 platform
 + setting C compiler to gcc
 + adding selected modules
    o php3_module uses ConfigStart/End
ld: /vol1/oracle/app/oracle/product/7.3.2/lib/libclient.a(): bad magic
 + doing sanity check on compiler and options
** A test compilation with your Makefile configuration
** failed. This is most likely because your C compiler
** is not ANSI. Apache requires an ANSI C Compiler, such
** as gcc. The above error message from your compiler
** will also provide a clue.
 Aborting!

I suspect Oracle's libclient.a is in SCO format or something like that. Is
there any workaround for this problem?

Thanks in advance for your help!

Cheers,

Victor Carranza

P.S. I am running FreeBSD 3.0-971006-SNAP