Date:      Mon, 22 Jul 1996 18:10:48 -0700 (PDT)
From:      asami@cs.berkeley.edu (Satoshi Asami)
To:        njensen@salsa.habaneros.com
Cc:        questions@freebsd.org
Subject:   RE: 2.1.5R and ccd questions

 * Thanks again, your suggestion below worked - in fact, the rest
 * of the process went smoothly and I have (or least I think I have)
 * disk mirroring working!

Glad to hear that!

 * A few remaining small :) questions:
 *
 * 1. I understand what is required to boot from sd1 as opposed to
 * sd0, but I am having trouble copying the root parition on sd0 to
 * sd1. This is because I think cpio copies to files or directories, not
 * partitions? Is it acceptable to do:
 *
 * mkdir /mnt/tmp
 * mount -o async /dev/sd1a /mnt/tmp
 * find -x . | cpio -pmV /mnt/tmp

Yes, that should work.  Assuming you were in / to begin with, of
course.  BTW, if you are running this from cron or something, you may
not want the "V" flag (that prints out a dot for a file).  This only
copies new files over so old files won't be deleted.

You can also use dd to copy the partition directly.  Something like

dd if=/dev/rsd0a of=/dev/rsd1a bs=512

should work (you may need to add a "seek=32 skip=32" if it says
permission denied or something).  This of course will solve the delete
old files problem.

 * 2. Is there a way to see if the mirroring is working? I cannot check
 * my hard drive lights because they are not visible. How can I see if
 * the writes are indeed going to both disks? I will do a full test of
 * booting with sd0 disabled, but I would like another quick method
 * to check that mirroring is ok.

Sorry, that lights comment was only halfway serious.  You can use
"systat -iostat" to see the disk activities without opening up the
case.

 * Thanks again, hopefully this will be the last time I bother you, except
 * to say "Thanks, it worked!".

No problem!

Satoshi