Date:      Sat, 5 Jul 2003 16:33:19 -0500
From:      "J. Porter Clark" <j.porter.clark@nasa.gov>
To:        freebsd-questions@freebsd.org
Subject:   Nvidia and Dell Latitude's cover switch

I've been using x11/nvidia-driver from ports on a Dell Latitude
C840 laptop with 4.8-STABLE.  I have it set to do 1600x1200.  The
problem is that whenever I close the cover while it's running X,
and then reopen the cover, the display is screwed up.  Specifically,
it looks like the left-hand half of the screen has been stretched
to cover the full screen, and the right-hand half is gone.  When
this happens, I can recover by doing Ctrl-Alt-F1 and then Ctrl-Alt-F9.
Or I can cycle through video modes with Ctrl-Alt-KP+.  But sheesh,
it's annoying as all get out.  Below are the relevant parts of my
XF86Config file.  Any idea how to fix this problem?  BTW, I had no
problems like this with the VESA driver.

Section "Device"
	Option		"HWcursor" "True"
	Option		"ShadowFB" "True"
	Option		"UseFBDev" "False"
	Option		"FlatPanel" "True"
	Option		"FPDither" "True"
	Identifier	"Card0"
	Driver		"nvidia"
	VendorName	"NVIDIA"
	BoardName	"GeForce4 440 Go"
	Option		"NvAgp" "1"
EndSection

Section "Screen"
	Identifier	"Screen0"
	Device		"Card0"
	Monitor		"Monitor0"
	DefaultDepth	24
	SubSection	"Display"
                Depth	24
                Modes	"1600x1200" "1280x1024" "1024x768" "800x600" "640x480"
        EndSubSection
EndSection

--
James Porter Clark        j.porter.clark@nasa.gov
NASA/MSFC Computers and Data Systems Group (ED13)