Date:      Sat, 17 Apr 1999 22:53:39 -0700 (PDT)
From:      Alex Zepeda <garbanzo@hooked.net>
To:        current <current@freebsd.org>
Subject:   newbus and modem(s)

I'm as excited as anyone to see progress, especially if it means the
ability to modularize the kernel and load various drivers on demand.  But,
alas, it seems this whole thing was rushed horribly.

The first thing I noticed was the panic I got, in atkbd_isa_intr, which
has since been fixed.

But once I got my system booted, I noticed that it didn't detect my PnP
modem (a quick check revealed that the PnP code was #if 0'd out).  So, I
tried my external modem, which worked.  But in the process of downloading
email, I got about 5 sio overflows.  I've left my box up for a few days
and rebuilt world while downloading stuff, and only gotten around one or
two overflows.

I looked at un #ifdef'n the PnP code, but some things seem to have changed
substantially.  Where is there any documentation on how to un-butcher
drivers or even "properly" fix them?

Sure it looks like the pcm driver works and works with the PnP code but it
uses the "shims".

- alex