Date:      Fri, 2 Nov 2001 16:24:35 -0600
From:      Mike Meyer <mwm@mired.org>
To:        David Scheidt <rufus@brain.mics.net>
Cc:        advocacy@FreeBSD.ORG, chat@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: NatWest? no thanks

David Scheidt <rufus@brain.mics.net> types:
> On Fri, 2 Nov 2001, Mike Meyer wrote:
> > If you go back and read the DOJ document I cited, specifically the
> > paragraph titled "Fifth Circuit Avoids Ruling on Internet Coverage",
> > you'll find that the Department of Justice thinks there is no
> > precedent for the ADA applying to commercial web sites.  While the DOJ
> > clearly feels that commercial web sites should be covered, as they
> > filed a brief with the fifth circuit court to that effect, and I agree
> > with them, the best legal precedent they have says otherwise.
>
> Well, not quite.  Doesn't say it's otherwise, doesn't say it's not
> otherwise.  They ducked the issue.  Given that it doesn't cost much money to
> design an accessable site, but it does cost lots of money to retrofit one so
> it's accessable, it's silly to do otherwise.

The Fifth Circuit court ducked the issue, the District Court ruling is
the one I was referring to. I'd love a solid precedent saying that
commercial web sites were covered by the ADA.

As for the costs - I gave up trying to tell people that five years
ago, because nobody cared. As far as I can tell, they still don't. The
question of expensive retrofits was brought up in the congressional
hearings on the matter, and the ADA doesn't require them. It's going
to take something major to make most web designers notice. Since AOL
agreeing to redesign their software for accessability to end the
lawsuit with The National Federation for the Blind wasn't major
enough, I have no idea what would be.

	<mike
Q: How do you make the gods laugh?		A: Tell them your plans.