Date:      Mon, 24 Jan 2005 20:46:28 -0800
From:      Justin Walker <justin@mac.com>
To:        FreeBSD Architecture <freebsd-arch@freebsd.org>
Subject:   Re: Continuation of the Mach Microkernel

On Jan 24, 2005, at 19:50, Andrew Reilly wrote:

> On Fri, Jan 21, 2005 at 04:51:51PM -0500, Nicholas Ink wrote:
>> 	Has anyone tried running the Mach microkernel with a new version of
>> FreeBSD, like 5.x?  I'm working on a project involving that
>> microkernel, but I'm concerned that it won't work with newer versions
>> of FreeBSD.
>> 	Does anyone know anything or know of any resources that might assist
>> me?
>
> How about the Darwin codebase?  They recently upgraded their
> user-land to FreeBSD 5.something, I believe.

Nope.  The Darwin kernel uses some updates from FreeBSD 4.x, not 5.x.
It isn't a wholesale import of FreeBSD, though.  The device driver
model is completely different, as is the interface between the network
stacks and the devices.

Also, just to be clear, Darwin doesn't use Mach as a microkernel.  The
implementation is more like Mach 2.x than Mac 3.x (even though the Mach
bits are based on Mach 3.x): there is no support for running "guest
OSs" in Darwin.

Regards,

Justin

--
Justin C. Walker, Curmudgeon-At-Large  *
Institute for General Semantics        | Some people have a mental