Date:      19 Dec 2002 09:52:42 -0500
From:      Andrew Heybey <ath@niksun.com>
To:        "Greg 'groggy' Lehey" <grog@FreeBSD.ORG>
Cc:        freebsd-stable@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: Frequent lockups with SMP and heavy NFS access

> I've been experiencing a lot of lockups (system completely dead, no
> reaction at the keyboard, can't ping) on an Intel SMP machine running
> CURRENT.  Normally I do my kernel builds over NFS, but in the last few
> months I haven't been able to complete a 'make world'.  Along with
> -DNOCLEAN I can get a build done in about 4 attempts; local builds
> work fine.  NFS builds also work fine with other single processor
> machines.
>
> Questions:
>
> 1.  Has anybody else seen this?
> 2.  How should I approach looking for the problem?

We have seen lockups on Intel SMP boxes under combined heavy network +
disk load.  In our case, NFS was not involved, but I perk my ears up
whenever I hear "Intel", "SMP" and "lockup".

We put a PCI bus analyzer on the box, and the chipset seemed to have
locked up.  In our case, the disk controller was attempting to DMA
into main memory and only getting retries.

Which Intel box?  Ours was an Intel STL2 motherboard.

andrew